Thursday, January 3, 2013

What Was Done for God in the Cross?


For many people, the only purpose of God in His cross was to intervene and save men in their misery. While no one could argue that God DID save us by the death of Christ – praise Him for that! – could we dwell for a little bit on a higher level than ourselves?

Israel too often saw God only as a deliverer – they ignored him as much as possible, and then wanted to call on him when they were in trouble.  In other words, they exploited him as their deliverer but they did not want him as their Jehovah, their king. They would use their God, but Christ would sanctify him as the HOLY FATHER!

We can be much the same.  We can see the cross of Christ only as our “safety net” to keep us from falling to destruction, without thinking of what Jesus’ attitude actually was toward his death.  We are so grateful for forgiveness, and that we can escape hell because of the cross, but we rarely dwell on – or even perceive - the significance of it in the eyes of Jesus and his Father.

We are saved – ultimately – because of the holiness (righteousness) of God! God’s love is infinite because it is holy, righteous love.  And his name must be held holy for the universe to carry on. He will keep his name holy because of his nature, and he wills that man will also keep it holy.  And so he did not hold back his Son. And his Son did not spare himself in the hallowing (holding as holy) of that name.  This was the first function of the Cross.  And so He was the Savior and King - because first of all He loved God above all else – yes, even more than any man, and glorified the Father’s name over his own and all others.   His first business in his prayers was “Hallowed be thy name” and “Holy Father”.

And as far as God’s benefit is concerned – the cross’s purpose is to declare his righteousness, honor his holiness, uphold his majesty, hallow his name.  Paul holds closely together in Romans the universal need for the gospel and the seat of its power in the righteousness of God.

That is why the gospel holds the power to transform men – not just forgive the guilt of sin, but CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness!!  I Jn 1:9

In the cross, sin was judged!  Righteousness was declared.  The righteousness and holiness of God were upheld. Satan was defeated by his own weapons.  To uphold holiness and righteousness, a judgment on sin and on Satan was administered in mercy.  Why?  So that I can be righteous, that my conscience can be cleansed, and by faith I can be moved to repentance and remission of sins in the name of Jesus.  I can be reconciled to God by the Son of God.  I can identify with him in his death, I can be raised in the likeness of his resurrection, I can participate in his new life, and my spirit can walk in fellowship with the Spirit of the Holy God of the universe! HOW?  Through the CROSS of Christ.  This is the great failure of modern Christianity – the power of the cross is deserted and forgotten.

God was the planner, designer, instigator of it all. He was the sacrifice, he was the altar, he was the high priest, and he was the Holy Jehovah on the throne.  WHY?  So I can stand back and watch it, then go about my selfish business?  So I can indulge my material pleasures, live my grand lifestyle, wear my sexy clothes, strut my great body, impress with all my brilliance?  So I can have a “nice little house in the suburbs”?  So I can “do my thing”, showcase my talent in my “rock music” ministry?  So I can get with my brethren and gorge myself on that good old fried chicken or barbecue?  So I can live in a country where I am free?  Did Jesus die on the cross so the US flag can be proudly waved?  Or that of any other country?  So I can gather around me only people that look like me, act like me, and agree with me, and we can self-righteously condemn the “outsiders”?  So I can fight and wrangle and maul my brothers and sisters verbally?

NO – as far as man’s benefit is concerned the cross has one purpose – to deliver me from sin and cleanse my conscience of it by his blood. So I can suffer with him.  Die with him so I can live with him.  The work of the cross is effected in me in my humility, repentance, surrender, sacrifice – NOT in my achievement, my credit, my pride, my glory.  For that end, let us see in the cross the upholding of the holiness of God – the hallowing of his name.

THE RELIGION OF THE CROSS OF CHRIST IS A RELIGION OF REPENTANCE AND REDEMPTION BY FAITH IN THE ONE WHO DIED THERE!  THE CHURCH IS DIVIDED AND HER WORK IS PERVERTED AND HER INFLUENCE IS SQUANDERED BECAUSE WE FORGOT THAT!

Jesus prayed for unity among his disciples; it was his dying plea.  Not just as a nice gesture, but rather the DEMAND on men who honor the Christ of the cross, which honors the holiness of His Father!  This should draw us together in a committed, self-sacrificing unity in Christ!

NOT unity in that “anything goes”, but unity in that “nothing goes” except the honor and glory of God in the cross, and what that can do to the conscience of humble men and women on their knees, penitent and sacrificial for the cause of delivering men from the selfishness of sin.            

[This article was inspired by selected readings from Peter T. Forsyth, especially including "The Justification of God".  Larry Walker, March 2012]



No comments:

Post a Comment